This recipe is an unexpected blog post. I figured it’d taste good, I had no idea it would be THIS good!
The original plan was grilled chicken on the Foreman, roasted red potatoes and broccoli. Grilled chicken just wasn’t sounding appealing to any of us so I decided to go a different route. Leave it to SparkRecipes to lead me in the right direction. (I’m becoming addicted to that site for healthy recipe ideas.)
We (my daughter and I) decided on mashed red potates instead of roasted, leaving the oven now open for baking the chicken rather than grilling. The idea of baking lead me to the option of a broccoli and chicken casserole type of dinner.
I try to stay away from using condensed soups because of their sodium content, but I decided tonight I’d make an exception. Besides, not adding rice or pasta to the casserole means you only need one can!
As I said in the opener, this blog post was not planned which is usually the case with recipes. If you haven’t guessed, this means there are no photos to go along with the recipe. 😦 I even had a thought to snap a couple of photos, but I ignored my instinct and finished preparing dinner. Of course, now I’m regretting that decision.
Here it is, my Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Bake:
Ingredients (makes 6 serving)
1 1/2 pounds boneless/ skinless chicken breasts
1 pound frozen broccoli florets
1 can Campbell’s Healthy Request Cheddar Cheese soup
1/4 of a 1 pound block mild cheddar cheese, finely shredded
1) Clean any fat off chicken and cut into cubes.
2) Preheat oven to 375*.
3) Cook broccoli until fairly soft. Drain, set aside. (Reserve some water.)
4) Saute chicken until no longer pink. (I seasoned mine with garlic powder and used non stick cooking spray.)
5) Mix cooked chicken with cheese soup until pretty evenly coated. Add about 1/4 cup broccoli water and stir. Add a couple tablespoons of the shredded cheese, stir.
5) Gently stir in cooked broccoli until nicely coated.
6) Spray baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
7) Pour chicken and broccoli mixture into dish. Spread evenly.
8) Top with shredded cheese.
9) Bake for 20 minutes, until cheese is slightly browned.
Here’s a screenshot of the nutrition facts per serving from my Lose It! app: